Children and Young People’s Services
Children and Young People's Services bring together a number of functions to help support children, young people and families in County Durham.
To do this, we have three service areas:
- protect vulnerable people from harm as part of our statutory duty, working with local partners;
- work with schools and partner organisations to ensure that children and young people are supported to achieve, attain and be prepared for adulthood;
- help children and young people make positive and healthy choices;
- support a range of intervention and prevention services to improve outcomes for families;
- work with the police and other partners to reduce crime and anti-social behaviour;
- look after children and young people in public care and care leavers;
- provide adoption services.
The Corporate Director of Children and Young People's Services is Margaret Whellans, who plans to retire later this year.
Links and Documents
- Children and Young People's Services Management Structure
- Children and Young People’s Strategy
- Children and Young People’s Services political structures and partnership boards
- Joint Targeted Area Inspection Multi Agency Response to Domestic Abuse Improvement Action Plan
- SEND Strategic Action Plan
- Aycliffe Secure Centre
- Education Durham